Hope you enjoy my experiences in the craft and sewing world. Maybe you will get inspired to get back to your projects too. Feel free to leave a comment or two. Thanks for reading.

Words of Comfort

The light of God surrounds me,
The love of God enfolds me,
The presence of God protects me,
God is always with me.

What I Am Working On Right Now

Tote Bag from Moda Bake Shop Fresh Fabric Treats
Ear Bud Pouches
Delight block
Crumb Quilt
Baby Gifts

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vintage Thingie Thursday

Here it is again. Time for Vintage Thingie Thursday!
Thank you to Suzanne over at Coloradolady for hosting this fun day.
I am going to share with you a couple of items I have posted before.
When I posted these things before some of you commented you had never seen them before.
I call these knitting bowls because that is what they were referred to as when I was growing up.
They have been around as long as I can remember so if they are not quite yet vintage, it won't be long before they really are vintage.
I always saw these in use as a place to keep the yarn of your current knitting or crochet project.
The one above was my grandmother's and the one below my godmother's.
Or was it the other way around?
See now I can't remember who had which bowl. Ha!
Currently I have the one above in my living room.
And my mother has the one below in hers.
Thank you for visiting me this fine Vintage Thingie Thursday.
Happy Thursday!
~Linnea~

19 comments:

ClassyChassy said...

Now that makes sense - Knitting Bowls!!! I always thought they were PLANTERS!!! Silly me! I'm glad I found your posting - now I know how they were really used! Thanks so much!

onlymehere said...

I loved these the first time I saw them and had never seen them before. How fortunate you are to have them!

Miri said...

Lovely! True conversation pieces!

Heather said...

oh yeah, i forgot about these! my grandmother had one like your bottom one shown. but i forgot all about it!

Carolyn said...

Very cool. My mom had one like the one your mom has, back when the Early-American look was all the rage.

Anonymous said...

I love the knitting bowls. I've never seen any, but they are gorgeous. Happy VTT and have a lovely weekend.

marnie said...

Planters is what they used for when I was growing up. Maybe that is because my mother had a green thumb, not a crafty bone (tho she did sew)

Cute blog!!
Found you by way of Leslie at My Country Home!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Great family treasures, I think they make nice assesories to your room amd the memories they hold are pricless

The Raggedy Girl said...

My aunt who had a home filled with spindle furniture and milk glass had one of these bowls. Nice thing to share.

From a Raggedy Roberta Ann

Protector of Vintage said...

Those are really neat. It's nice you have items that have been passed along in your family!! Thanks for sharing~

Anonymous said...

how unusual but oh-so practical :)

Coloradolady said...

Oh my...I thought those were planters too, and I could really use one of those! Very informative post today, I learned something!

Bea said...

They are a lot prettier than my white plastic Rubbermaid dish pan. Thanks for sharing.

farmlady said...

What a great idea! I have never heard of them before. I'm always losing needles in the couch and trying to find a save place to put unfinished work. Thank for sharing this.

Unknown said...

The one you have is very unique and beautiful. Like it a lot.

Roslyn said...

Every week I learn something new on VTT & knitting bowls is another, thanks for showing it again I haven't seen it before.
Roslyn

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

Linnea that is such unique bowls.. never see one in my life.. but to have either one from someone you love is precious! thanks for sharing.. and have a nice weekend.. take care
xo

fitty

LADY JANE said...

Knitting bowls...I love it! Have a wonderful week!

Kimmie said...

Oh I love your first bowl...it looks so smooth and homey! I would be tempted to use it for popcorn!

;-)
Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Crafty Quotes

One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery. --A. A. Milne

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.--Helen Keller

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it's not all mixed up.--A. A. Milne

Bees are not as busy as we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown