Hope you enjoy my experiences in the craft and sewing world. Maybe you will get inspired to get back to your projects too. Feel free to leave a comment or two. Thanks for reading.

Words of Comfort

The light of God surrounds me,
The love of God enfolds me,
The presence of God protects me,
God is always with me.

What I Am Working On Right Now

Tote Bag from Moda Bake Shop Fresh Fabric Treats
Ear Bud Pouches
Delight block
Crumb Quilt
Baby Gifts

Monday, April 6, 2009

Blue Monday/Met Monday

Hi all!
I am doing something different this time.
Combining my Blue Monday with my first time
to participate in Met Monday.
Thank you to Sally at Smiling Sally for hosting Blue Monday.
You can see many more blues if you go over there.
And thank you to Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch
for hosting Met Monday.
Again you can see many more if you go over to Susan's site.
So what is my project that is both blue and a metamorphis?

My piano bench!
I have had this cover on it for over 20 years now.
That one was at least the third cover that bench has seen.
Why change it? Notice it is also blue.
One, I was tired of it.
Two, it was getting worn.
Three, the bench was getting hard.
I had been adding a pillow to sit on to make it softer
and to make me sit a little higher
so my hands and arms were more comfortable.

After taking the piano bench off its hinges,
it is on the floor and I start prying all those little
tacks off with a screwdriver.
Here are some of the tacks.
Oh, and some M&M's to sustain me as I work hard on this project.
You can see the end of my flat screwdriver there.

My hand gets very sore.
See all the red spots there.
Proof I was working hard!
In case you needed proof.
This cover is the original one.
I had taken off the second cover when I did the third cover.
The second cover was the one I grew up with when I was
learning to play the piano.
I decided to add some quilt batting to soften the bench
for my behind.
Uh-oh! Look who jumped into the picture here.
Helmi who is always very curious had to
come and find out what I was doing.
Of course she proceeds to get in the way and sit on my project.
So I show her the fabric I am using to recover the bench.
Sorry picture is a little blurry here.
Must be Helmi's fault.
See the BLUE!
After a lot of hammering to get the new tacks in and
then try to find the holes through the fabric
for the hinge screws,
it is DONE!!
Yay!!!
I like how it looks and the batting does help
to soften the bench for my poor behind.
Of course Helmi has to try it out too!
Happy Blue and Met Monday everyone!!
~Linnea~

17 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Good job! Now you can play to your heart's content! Thanks for sharing. Happy Blue Monday.

Lynda said...

I love the blue checked fabric you used to cover the piano bench!

Happy Blue Monday!

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Linnea...it turned out great! Helmi is so cute...she was just trying to help by making sure you got it soft enough! :-) My helper around here is Max cat...he is always in the middle of my projects. Love the fabric you choose...you're good to go now for a few more years. :-) Susan

Susan said...

Love the blue check and it looks great.

jlshall said...

That fabric is great for the springtime, and you did a very professional-looking job. And Helmi looks really comfy sitting on that cushy bench!

The Raggedy Girl said...

What a lovely change.

Have A Wonderful Day
from Roberta Anne

Scribbler said...

This looks great! Those little tacks are just the very devil to pull out, aren't they?

I would like to share with you something I did on a bench to make it more "sittable." I used an actual bed pillow, very heavily stuffed, I guess you could call it lofty? Anyway, I put that on and then wrapped the batting over that. Then a layer of lining and then the face fabric last. It is very comfy.

By the way, using a power staple gun is a lot easier than hammering in all those tacks on the re-do!


Scribbler

Kim @ Starshine Chic said...

Looks great! Glad you had some help. And I thought Smilingsal's comment said "Now you can play to your BUTT's content", but it said "HEART'S content". Guess we know where my mind was. I had to laugh, cause now you can play till your heart or your butt is content. Enjoy!

LADY JANE said...

I can't blame Helmi for trying out the new cover..looks much comfier than the last! Oh how I wish I could play piano! Happy blue Met Monday to you!

Joyce said...

Bench looks great and so does Helmi sitting on the bench. I had to laugh as I thought I was the only one who eats M&Ms when I work on a project:)
Joyce

Russ said...

My wife doesn't let me near neither hammer nor new fabric. She knows I destroy something (I call it "giving it a lived in look").

Barbara Jean said...

Cover is so nice., Love those checks.
And so nice to include Helmi in the post.

Blessings,
Barbara Jean

I'm having a giveaway April 15. Come on by.

Anonymous said...

Morning, Linnea! Oh, what a great job you did on your piano bench! Ouch! Your poor tiny hand! Hope it's better now.

I'll tell you something funny. I'm the pianist at my church. I've played the piano there about 12 years. It's an old baby grand and the bench has no cushen. I looked down at it Sunday and you can actually see where my bum cheeks have been! I've sat on the stool for so many years - I've left my mark! I think I need to make a cushen before someone else sees my bum marks! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

janet said...

looks fantastic, a whole new look. Now you can sit in comfy cozy. thanks for sharing
hugs
janet

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Linnea! Good job! I'm glad you let me know. I had visited as many blogs that were linked as I could before I had other obligations, but I always like to see what you do! :-)

I really love those checks. As a matter of fact, they would go verrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nicely in the St. Augustine digs. Hmm...hmm... hmmmmmmmmmmmm... Just sayin'! ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

P.S. For Helmi's eyes only...







Helmi, want to haul that piano my way for a slight fee??? Shhhh.... don't tell. ;-)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Uh, oh... I think that someone read my last comment and absonded with it. Helmi, remember, mum's the word, okay?

Linnea, I love the blue check!!! That's the perfect makeover. I was just telling Helmi that the blue check fabric is a perfect match for the St. Augustine digs. Right, Helmi??? I'm not having covetous thoughts or anthing, now. ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

Archer said...

Wow Nommy! That's the same cover that's been on the bench my whole life! My goodness! I really like the fabric you picked for the new cover though! That silly Helmi, always getting in your way! I'm glad she's curious and keeping you company though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Crafty Quotes

One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery. --A. A. Milne

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.--Helen Keller

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it's not all mixed up.--A. A. Milne

Bees are not as busy as we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown