Hope you enjoy my experiences in the craft and sewing world. Maybe you will get inspired to get back to your projects too. Feel free to leave a comment or two. Thanks for reading.

Words of Comfort

The light of God surrounds me,
The love of God enfolds me,
The presence of God protects me,
God is always with me.

What I Am Working On Right Now

Tote Bag from Moda Bake Shop Fresh Fabric Treats
Ear Bud Pouches
Delight block
Crumb Quilt
Baby Gifts

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursdays in the Sewing Room!

Wow, it has been a while since I have participated in
Vintage Thingies Thursdays!
Suzanne at Colorado Lady is our host for VTT.
Thank you Suzanne for doing your wonderful job of hosting.
~~~~~~
So.
We are in the sewing room today.
I have a pair of scissors I sort of forgot I had.
I used to use them for embroidery and cross-stitch.
I have no idea how old they are and I am not totally sure
how I came to have them in my possession.
I do think they used to belong to my grandfather's mother.
Or maybe my grandmother's mother.
I will have to ask my mother and see if she remembers who had them
before me.
This picture shows the other side.
You can see how worn they are around the handles.
I was trying them out the other day and found they
did not cut as well.
I sharpened them a little on my knife sharpener
and now I can cut the embroidery floss when I am stitching.
The words probably states the manufacturer,
but it is very hard to read.
~~~~~~
In my family there were at least 3 of the older
Singer sewing machines.
I learned to sew on my mother's.
She still has hers.
My grandmother's went to my mother's
brother's wife. Does that make sense?
In other words my aunt by marriage.
She is a quilter, so it made sense to let her have that one.
My aunt who was also my godmother had a Singer too.
I did not know what had happened to it.
Turns out it was at church for the quilter's group.
It would not sew.
I asked my mother if I could have it since it didn't work.
She said sure!
Now it is in my possession and I am thrilled.
Even though it doesn't work.
The light works, so that means the power is connection is working.

Here is it with the light off.

This wheel goes around.
What do we call that?
The flywheel?
I have forgotten now.

A view from the back.
Is this what some of you call the Singer Featherweight?
I thought maybe this is the Singer Featherweight,
but I am not sure.

A side view.
That wheel does go around.
I tried it out.

But it doesn't sew.
The needle does not go up and down.

This says
"A Century of Sewing Service"
"1851_1951"
So I guess this machine is older than me!
The thread won't slide through the tension knob easily.
And that thingy at the top of the picture
with the thread going through it is stuck
in that down position.
It wont' budge.
Mr. B-Daddy says we should take it to a repair place.
Perhaps they can fix it.
If it is fixable, then I can use it for piecing and other
non-fancy sewing.
I don't have any attachments for it.
Only the presser foot that is on there.
Maybe the attachments might still be in some of my
aunt's stuff at my mom's house.
Another thing I will have to ask my mom about.
This instruction book was still in the case.
Hooray!
I can check it out and see what I can learn from it.
Note to self:
Ask mom about the scissors.
Ask mom about the attachments.
Happy Vintage Thingies Thursday!
~Linnea~

20 comments:

Coloradolady said...

Oh, take the machine in and let someone service it. I bet all it needs is to be oiled really well and cleaned...I bet this will work like a champ. I just took my grandma's machine in, and the man said it was locked up when he got into it, but now..runs like a Cadillac... Lovely machine by the way. Have a great VTT!

rt said...

Love your sewing machine!

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

yeap Linnea.. take it home and get it repair!.. this is a gem! More than a Century old machine! totally antique and beautiful! Happy VTT

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi Linnea!

LOVE your old Singer! It's a beauty! I enjoy seeing old machines. I have the one that is inside my antique sewing cabinet. I should flip it out and take some shots of it. Great idea! Thanks!

I really enjoyed your post!

Hugs, Sherry

Postcardy said...

I bet there aren't many sewing machine repair people left!

onlymehere said...

If you only lived closer you could see our local sewing machine repairman. He's amazing and can fix absolutely anything at a fair price! I love your vintage sewing things.

Jingle said...

That machine is absolutely stunning! It is in amazing shape! I am sure you could have that thing in working order if you have someone look at it! It is beautiful! The scissors are fantastic, too!

LV said...

What wonderful family treasures you have. This is why I enjoy VTT, you get to see so many interesting vintage items.

Beca said...

Oh my! That sewing machine is great! It's neat that you still have that in the family.

Kayleen said...

What fun treasures! That sewing machine would look great in a sewing room as decor. . . even though it doesn't work!

CC said...

Oh please, get it repaired. It will sew like a dream. I still almost cry when I think how I traded my wonderful treadle sewing machine for a "newer" singer. I still regret it.
Happy VTT..and I love the looks of your new blog. I have become a follower to see what you make next.

Old Time Cindy said...

Old sewing machines are the best. They just keep running as long as they get regular tune-ups. See what happens if you give it a little TLC.

Anonymous said...

I know this is going to sound weird but I really love your scissors :)
Of course I adore the sewing machine as well but those scissors!
Embroidery scissors are so delicate but they're still tools! I love 'em.

Kathi Fly said...

That's a real treasure! Go and have it checked out and hopefully you'll be sewing soon. It is beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

oh that singer featherweight is adorable and it looks in perfect condition too..i sure hope you can get it fixed :)

Keetha Broyles said...

Ah ha! Your little sewing scissors remind me of a cute little pair I have that I can show on a VTT one day!!!

Today must have been the day to show vintage Singers. Yours is the shiniest, most dusted one in the bunch, my dear!!!

Terry said...

Great sewing machine! I'd love to have one of those someday! :0)

Roslyn said...

Google "Dating Featherweight Machines" & you can compare the serial number on the base of the machine & find the year it was made. Look for a sewing machine repair in your area & call to see if they service FW's or vintage machines.
These are great little machines, I showed my pale green one last week on VTT,

Barbara Jean said...

Oh i love old sewing treasures!!

thanks for sharing and thanks for coming by for a visit.

blessings,
barbara jean

JEWELGIRL said...

I enjoyed seeing your sewing treasures. Your sewing machine looks like it is in good condition for the
age.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Crafty Quotes

One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery. --A. A. Milne

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.--Helen Keller

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it's not all mixed up.--A. A. Milne

Bees are not as busy as we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown