Hope you enjoy my experiences in the craft and sewing world. Maybe you will get inspired to get back to your projects too. Feel free to leave a comment or two. Thanks for reading.

Words of Comfort

The light of God surrounds me,
The love of God enfolds me,
The presence of God protects me,
God is always with me.

What I Am Working On Right Now

Tote Bag from Moda Bake Shop Fresh Fabric Treats
Ear Bud Pouches
Delight block
Crumb Quilt
Baby Gifts

Sunday, August 31, 2008

New Toys for My Sewing Machine

I have been having a diffcult time seeing the markings on my sewing machine as I sew and I felt like I did not have enough light. I could not seem to aim the light I have attached to my sewing table to be effective for me. Today we stopped at Hancock's after church, something we do often. Anyway, I noticed a magnifier and a light I could attach to the machine.

The above picture shows the packaging from the light I bought. It is called a Mighty Bright Xtra Flex Super L.E.D. Craft Light. It was on sale which I did not realize until I was purchasing it. That was a pleasant surprise. I was able to attach the clamp to the carry handle of my sewing machine and use the flex arm to aim it right where I need it.
Then I also got the Magnistitch Sewing & Craft Magnifier, which was also on sale. Hooray!! I am beginning to get the aging eyes and have trouble seeing the small stuff comfortably. The picture shows how it should be attached to the sewing machine. I thought this should work pretty good. My husband was surprised I needed a magnifier. Probably forgot I am getting older too since he says I keep him young.
This picture shows the finished set up. A side note to my daughter, yes the lamp is purple. For those who don't know, purple is her favorite color. Or at least it was. I have done some sewing today with the new set up. I found it takes getting used to. But the light definitely helped and I could see better just where I need to sew with the magnifier. One thing though, it sure makes a 5/8" seam look big. I had to keep double checking to make I was not accidently making a bigger seam allowance.

I am hoping this will help to take away some of the frustration I had been having with not seeing as clearly as I would like while sewing. The magnifier will also help tremendously when I need to rip out a seam, which I do now and then. That is especially hard when sewing on dark fabric.

Since McCall's patterns were on sale at 99 cents each, I browsed through the pattern books and found one for myself and two to make things for my granddaughter. I got myself a blouse pattern. No fabric yet. The two for my granddaughter are kind of Bohemian style, or I can probably make it Bohemian style with the fabric choices. So if my daughter-in-love is reading this, I need updated chest and waist measurements for our granddaughter. Hint, hint. I want to make sure I make the correct size so she can wear it right away or grow into it later. I definitely don't want to make it too small.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Crafty Quotes

One of the advantages of being disorganized is the joy of discovery. --A. A. Milne

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble.--Helen Keller

Organizing is what you do before you do something, so that when you do it, it's not all mixed up.--A. A. Milne

Bees are not as busy as we think they are. They just can't buzz any slower.--unknown